Manager, Solutions Center
This position oversees a team of outgoing and exuberant support professionals within a 24/7,
high-volume (125,000 help requests in a calendar year), multi-channel support center. The
Common App Solutions Center provides, in a deadline-sensitive environment, timely and
mission-critical support for college applicants, counselors and Common App Member
institutions via online tools, telephone and social media. Additionally, the Manager, Solutions
Center will take an active role at managing existing and implementing new key processes and
will be a primary escalation point for complex and more technical issues. This person will also
work together regularly with the Product Support and Member Relations teams to ensure issues
are resolved timely and accurately. The Manager, Solutions Center has the opportunity to
actively manage outreach and engagement, process documentation and procedure review for
both the web-based products as well as internal processes to help improve the system for future
year’s applicants. As needed, the position assists in all department activities as related to the
position and will be able to and expected to seamlessly move back and forth in overseeing
support for all constituent groups that interact with the Solutions Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being
performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or
skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee the team responsible for providing end user support to applicants, rec system users, and Common Application Members.
- Serve as the primary escalation and resolution point for complex or escalated issues.
- Manage a multi-channel support strategy to include ticketing, phone, email, chat, and social media and evaluate and implement additional support channels as needed.
- Manage and refine where necessary processes, workflows, and SLAs to ensure timely and accurate response to support issues.
- Verbally communicate with the counseling community both with the Common Application outreach team and as individual issues arise.
- Follows department guidelines for quality standards.
- Provide for 24/7 support and ensure adequate staff coverage throughout the year.
- Identify hiring needs and recruit both seasonal and regular employees. Ensure schedules are created that meet the need for 24/7 support during busy season and are scaled back during the off-season.
- Appropriate budget and staff to meet peak season demands and adjust staffing levels accordingly when volume drops.
- Develop, measure, and publish appropriate reporting on response, resolution and satisfaction metrics. Ensure reporting is always accurate and timely.
- Maintain and refine where necessary a robust QA process to ensure quality of response to users.
- Act as subject matter expert and ensure staff is knowledgeable about processes, procedures and trends.
- Play key role with Member Relations, Product Support, Product Management, and Technology to ensure issues are resolved and processes are efficient and optimized.
- Create and deliver presentations to team, co-workers and senior management outlining, among other topics, team success metrics, support trends, and ongoing planning.
- Build and maintain relationship with Outreach and Applications Advisory committees and other committees as needed.
- Coordinate annual external support surveys.
- As needed, works variable shifts to ensure 24/7 service to constituents.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree or higher from four-year college or university; and at least 5+ years of successful, progressive experience in Help Desk, customer service, or technical support jobs; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous staff oversight or management experience is desired and higher education experience is preferred. Additionally, Project Management and past client/customer relationship experience is also desired.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in writing to both technical and non-technical audiences in a manner that is efficient and effective. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals that are generally error free. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from top management, groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense and sophisticated understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent analytical skills with the ability to make fact-based recommendations.
Must possess advanced computer skills specifically relating to technical troubleshooting. The employee must be able to effectively use database software, internet software, project management software, spreadsheet software, word processing software, and Parature or an equivalent ticketing system. Must have an ability to absorb complex technical concepts and be able to effectively communicate solutions to a non-technical audience.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability, and paid time off benefits, flexible work schedules and future growth opportunities within the organization. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.